The “Main Street, 1888” mural, created by renowned muralist, Robert Dafford, depicts Pine Bluff’s Main Street as it appeared just before the turn of the 20th Century.
Pine Bluff: City of Murals
“These Walls Can Talk,” and They Tell Pine Bluff’s Story in Graphic Form
Main Street, 1888 (above) Main Street as it appeared in 1888 is depicted in the mural painted by Robert Dafford at Third and Main Streets. The mural is a compilation of many historic photographs masterfully interpreted by Dafford.
Saracen This small mural, also painted by Dafford, is dedicated to the memory of Quapaw Chief Saracen, Rescuer of the Stolen Children and legendary hero of Jefferson County. 224 S. Main St.
The Old Fire Station Historic photographs of the City Hall and Fire Station, circa 1892, were used by Dafford to paint this mural located at Eighth and Main Streets. 716 S. Main St.
UAPB Mural Robert Dafford painted his fourth mural depicting the growth of Branch Normal College, which became Arkansas AM&N and is now the University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff. The mural traces the school's history from 1875 until 1972. 204 S. Main St.
The Movie Mural Michael Wojczuk of Colorado is the painter of this mural paying tribute to two Pine Bluffians who contributed much to the movie industry: Freeman Owens, who developed sound-on-film technology still being used today, and Max Aaronson who is known to early movie fans as "Broncho Billy" Anderson, the first great cowboy star. 209 S. Main St.
Delta Heritage Depicting scenes in the life of Jefferson County residents between the 1920s and 1940s, Don Gensler of Little Rock painted this mural located at 129 Main Street. John Rust, the inventor of the first mechanical cotton picker, is the main attraction of this mural along with scenes of the Delta cotton fields. 192 S. Main St.
The Medical Mural Painted by the Dafford Mural Company of Lafayette, LA, it celebrates the history of the past and present medical facilities in Pine Bluff. The mural panel on the left is the Davis Hospital, built in 1910 and is located at 11th & Cherry Street and the right panel is Jefferson Regional Medical Center which opened in the early 1960’s and continues to serve the needs of patients in South Arkansas. 201 S. Main St.
The Timber Mural Timber was a big industry in Jefferson County at the turn of the century. David and Susan Kelly Frye of Houston, Texas used old photographs from the industry to fashion a composite image depicting logging, train steam engines and saw mills. 301 E. Fifth Ave.
The River Mural Painted by Alan Wylie of British Columbia from three turn-of-the-century photographs, this mural depicts life on the Arkansas River during another time. 111 W. Fifth Ave.
The Arkansas Flag Mural The Fryes returned to create the mural honoring Willie Hocker, designer of the State Flag of Arkansas. 225 W. Barraque St.
The Auto Club Mural All automobile owners in Jefferson County met at the end of Main Street in 1905 to pose for a photograph. Located at Third and Main, this "Main Event" was recreated in the mural by Dan Sawatsky of Chemainus, British Columbia. 300 S. Main St.